Holiday season is upon us, and its time to pack on the Winter coat.
The seven layer magic bar cookie recipe combines the sweetness of chocolate with coconut. It is a perfect dessert cookie recipe.
My good friend Steve Mcdonald’s Mom used to make these cookies for Steve and I 45 years ago when we would come home from kindergarten! I would stay at his house till my Mom got out of work at Carman School in Rotterdam NY. Who would think 5 year olds would dig coconut and walnuts! I guess Steve and I weren’t allergic to nuts. Nor did anyone even know food allergies exsisted in 1968ish. Although…. one of us is still coconuts. Guess who? Enjoy! Gregg
Magic Bar Cookies
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk) 1 cup (6 ounces) butterscotch-flavored chips 1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut 1 cup chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for glass baking pan). Line a 13×9-inch baking pan (including sides) with a sheet of aluminum foil. Coat foil lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
2. In small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and butter; mix well. Press crumb mixture firmly on bottom of 13×9-inch baking pan.
3. Layer chips, coconut and nuts evenly over crust.
4. Pour condensed milk evenly over top of everything.
5. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
6. Lift up edges of foil to remove from pan. Cut into individual squares. Lift off of foil.